AAM Executive Director says presidential candidates must articulate bold national manufacturing strategies
The Capital City Times, of Madison, Wisconsin, recently published an op-ed by executive director of the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Scott Paul.
The op-ed details the importance of American manufacturing as an election year issue, especially in Wisconsin, a state where manufacturing comprises one-fifth of the economy. (The sector employs 450,000 people.)
Paul details the findings of AAM’s national poll, released last month, and stresses the will of the voter on the matter.
The poll showed overwhelming support for government action to discourage outsourcing, strongly enforce trade rules, provide retraining and education, implement Buy America policies, and create incentives for investment in the U.S.
Voters understand the fundamental truth about the erosion of America’s manufacturing base: It has occurred in large part because of misguided trade policies. Under both parties, the federal government has failed to confront predatory practices, like currency manipulation and massive subsidies, used by our trading partners.
Paul concludes the column by suggesting neither President Obama nor Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, can win the 2012 election without stating a clear and bold national manufacturing strategy.
Read more here.
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013