AAM Statement on this morning’s jobs report
Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement on this morning's latest monthly jobs report:
The nation’s jobless rate rose to 9.2% in June, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Employment rose by only 18,000 last month. Manufacturing employment rose by 6,000, which means that sector has stopped generating significant job gains over the past two consecutive months.
Said Scott Paul, Executive Director of AAM:
“This is a lousy jobs report. Any momentum we’ve seen in manufacturing has stalled. I think it is fair to say that we are at a crossroads now: could we be headed toward years of stagnation, or will Washington do what it takes to help spur private sector job growth?"
"While the American people want a jobs plan, and the data bear out the challenge, Washington seems tone deaf. Making drastic cuts in investments like infrastructure and research will only deepen the jobs crisis."
"The metric for President Obama and congressional leaders must now be the number of jobs we create, rather than the amount of deficit reduction we see. We’ve offered a plan for American manufacturing job growth that would garner bipartisan support. Why isn’t Congress listening?”
Please see the following charts on manufacturing job trends:
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014