AAM Statement on this morning’s jobs report
Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement on this morning's latest monthly jobs report:
The nation’s jobless rate rose to 9.2% in June, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Employment rose by only 18,000 last month. Manufacturing employment rose by 6,000, which means that sector has stopped generating significant job gains over the past two consecutive months.
Said Scott Paul, Executive Director of AAM:
“This is a lousy jobs report. Any momentum we’ve seen in manufacturing has stalled. I think it is fair to say that we are at a crossroads now: could we be headed toward years of stagnation, or will Washington do what it takes to help spur private sector job growth?"
"While the American people want a jobs plan, and the data bear out the challenge, Washington seems tone deaf. Making drastic cuts in investments like infrastructure and research will only deepen the jobs crisis."
"The metric for President Obama and congressional leaders must now be the number of jobs we create, rather than the amount of deficit reduction we see. We’ve offered a plan for American manufacturing job growth that would garner bipartisan support. Why isn’t Congress listening?”
Please see the following charts on manufacturing job trends:
Related recent Blogs
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014