AAM Statement on this morning’s jobs report
Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement on this morning's latest monthly jobs report:
The nation’s jobless rate rose to 9.2% in June, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Employment rose by only 18,000 last month. Manufacturing employment rose by 6,000, which means that sector has stopped generating significant job gains over the past two consecutive months.
Said Scott Paul, Executive Director of AAM:
“This is a lousy jobs report. Any momentum we’ve seen in manufacturing has stalled. I think it is fair to say that we are at a crossroads now: could we be headed toward years of stagnation, or will Washington do what it takes to help spur private sector job growth?"
"While the American people want a jobs plan, and the data bear out the challenge, Washington seems tone deaf. Making drastic cuts in investments like infrastructure and research will only deepen the jobs crisis."
"The metric for President Obama and congressional leaders must now be the number of jobs we create, rather than the amount of deficit reduction we see. We’ve offered a plan for American manufacturing job growth that would garner bipartisan support. Why isn’t Congress listening?”
Please see the following charts on manufacturing job trends:
Related recent Blogs
- Quote Of The Day: "It's time the administration stiffened its spine" on trade issues • by mmcmullan • 04/22/2014
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014