Americans are pessimistic about future financial gains
A recent report from Goldman Sachs shows that the number of Americans who believe they will bring home more money next year is the lowest it’s been in 25 years. According to USA Today, this pessimistic outlook has a lot to do with the financial hardships Americans are facing on a daily basis—and the atypical trajectory of the nation’s economic recovery:
“A typical recovery pattern goes like this: stock market bottoms, economic growth bottoms and then hiring and wage increases return. What's unique and scary about this recovery is that the last piece of the recovery is not there.”
As we’ve reported time and time again, Americans are more concerned about jobs than any other issue, and rightfully so. The latest monthly jobs report data is disappointing, hourly wages are dropping, and many of the employment opportunities that are available do not provide livable salaries or benefits.
Despite this growing concern on the part of the American people, the jobs deficit is still nowhere on the agenda in Washington. In order to improve the health of our economy, we need to invest in infrastructure, innovation, education, and a rebuilding of the American industrial base. And in order to accomplish this, we need a comprehensive national manufacturing strategy.
Related recent Blogs
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013