Automotive executives seek new talent at university commencements
Automotive News has identified a new venue for auto executives to recruit new employees -- college commencements.
Automotive Newsreporter Adam Rubenfire cites the auto industry’s recovery as having created not just a convenient PR story but also a need for the recruitment of potential managers, manufacturers, and engineers.
Rubenfire quotes GM CEO Dan Akerson’s commencement address at Columbia University’s graduate school of business. Akerson said:
The auto industry has gone from being an anchor on the economy to being the wind in its sails … in fact, we're one of the few bright spots. We're adding jobs and investing in America, just as America invested in us.
Rubenfire mentions that Akerson, towards the conclusion of his speech, requested those in attendance to consider working in the auto industry.
'We need people who are well-educated, talented and motivated,' Akerson said. 'We need you.'
Earlier this month, ManufactureThis wrote about the many manufacturing opportunities that could go unfilled without a well-prepared and enthusiastic workforce.
It’s no wonder the execs are making the rounds of the nation’s universities. Still, the question remains as to whether this “Victory Tour” is convincing enough after years of job flight.
Photo by Flickr user j.o.h.n. walker, used under Creative Commons license.
Related recent Blogs
- QOTD: AAM President Scott Paul talks young workers in manufacturing • by TGarland • 12/19/2013
- December 19, 2013: New gig for Baucus? • by mmcmullan • 12/19/2013
- Missed our #ShopAmerica twitter chat? We've got you covered! • by LDonia • 12/18/2013
- ITC made the right call on hot-rolled steel imports • by mmcmullan • 12/18/2013
- WE ARE ... made in Pennsylvania • by TGarland • 12/18/2013
- December 18, 2013: Selling the trade agenda • by mmcmullan • 12/18/2013
- #ShopAmerica: From handbags and dress shoes to tires and paintball -- an assortment of #MadeinUSA gift ideas • by LDonia • 12/17/2013
- ITC Rules in Favor of America's Steel Industry: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement • by scapozzola • 12/17/2013
- AAM photo caption contest: What are Obama and his trade team talking about? • by mmcmullan • 12/17/2013
- New report shows manufacturing is rebounding, but could use a legislative leg up • by LDonia • 12/17/2013