Bill to boost U.S. manufacturing passes Energy & Commerce Committee, heads to House floor
The American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act, H.R. 5865, was approved today by the House Energy & Commerce Committee by unanimous voice vote. It now faces a full vote in the House.
The bipartisan legislation, co-sponsored by Reps. Dan Lipinski (D-IL) and Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL), would require the development of a national strategy to revitalize American manufacturing and strengthen job creation.
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) has long been a proponent of a national manufacturing strategy, and has outlined key steps needed to revitalize U.S. manufacturing.
House Democratic Whip Steny H. Hoyer (D-MD) commented on the Energy and Commerce Committee's passage of the bill via a bipartisan vote:
“Rep. Lipinski’s bill, the American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act, would bring government, business, and labor stakeholders together to formulate a comprehensive national strategy to attract manufacturing businesses to our shores, help them compete overseas, and encourage them to expand and create well-paying jobs here in our communities. Manufacturing has helped lead our recovery, and America continues to be the world’s leading manufacturer. If we want to build on that trend and remain the global leader in manufacturing, we need a comprehensive strategy like the one this bill would authorize. I commend the House Energy and Commerce Committee for agreeing today to advance this bill to the full House with bipartisan support.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Oregon construction group pushes for Made in America • by scapozzola • 05/14/2013
- Promise on the horizon for American solar • by mmcmullan • 05/14/2013