Debunking Buy America myths
An interesting commentary popped up on our radar earlier this week when the Heritage Foundation turned an even-keeled furrow toward the injustices that are: Buy American clauses attached to federal transportation grants.
The taxpayer, they argue, is suffering, while special interests -- the manufacturing sector and the specter of greedy unions -- are growing fat on rules that require domestic producers to get a first shot in the bidding process.
Critics like to claim that Buy American policies are a recent idea (they aren't), that they violate our international trade agreements (they don't), that our trading partners don’t employ their own domestic procurement requirements (many do), or that they're inflexible and exorbitantly expensive (not so).
Buy America preferences for infrastructure projects aren't there to appease a special interest -- unless the special interest could be described as "the American taxpayer and American businesses that employ American workers." They encourage our tax dollars to stay in country, instead of being sent overseas. They're as commonsense and simple as that.
Related recent Blogs
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014