Election cycle debates 0-2 on China, jobs, manufacturing questions
Here at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM), we have a list of policy points and issues we hope the candidates for president and vice president will address.
If you’re an avid reader of ManufactureThis, or on our email list, you probably know what many of those issues are – manufacturing jobs, China and trade policy, to name a few.
This past summer we released a nationall poll that asked about the issues that are important to voters in this election cycle, especially jobs. Respondents spoke enthusiastically about having products made in the United States again, saying they’re unhappy buying Chinese-made products and that the quality of those products is often lacking.
The point is, voters want to hear about these issues.
You can probably imagine our disappointment when, in last night’s vice presidential debate (as was similar to last week's presidential debate), China trade was hardly mentioned. The candidates spoke of borrowing money from China, and of China’s one-child policy. But they didn't discuss China’s trade violations, currency manipulation, or product safety issues.
With only two presidential debates left in this campaign cycle, time is running out for the candidates to openly and candidly respond to voter concerns about China and outsourcing.
Related recent Blogs
- An American-made case to protect your not so American-made phone • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014