Election cycle debates 0-2 on China, jobs, manufacturing questions
Here at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM), we have a list of policy points and issues we hope the candidates for president and vice president will address.
If you’re an avid reader of ManufactureThis, or on our email list, you probably know what many of those issues are – manufacturing jobs, China and trade policy, to name a few.
This past summer we released a nationall poll that asked about the issues that are important to voters in this election cycle, especially jobs. Respondents spoke enthusiastically about having products made in the United States again, saying they’re unhappy buying Chinese-made products and that the quality of those products is often lacking.
The point is, voters want to hear about these issues.
You can probably imagine our disappointment when, in last night’s vice presidential debate (as was similar to last week's presidential debate), China trade was hardly mentioned. The candidates spoke of borrowing money from China, and of China’s one-child policy. But they didn't discuss China’s trade violations, currency manipulation, or product safety issues.
With only two presidential debates left in this campaign cycle, time is running out for the candidates to openly and candidly respond to voter concerns about China and outsourcing.
Related recent Blogs
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- No Electricity Needed for Corter Leather & Cloth • by elizabethbb • 08/15/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014