Fashion Friday: Okabashi
With six weeks left to summer, there’s ample opportunity for outdoors time. And what better footwear for summer time than flip-flops?
If you’re in the market for a new pair and love to buy American-made, you may want to check out Okabashi.
The company’s mission statement on the website reads:
At Okabashi we believe that technology and design can be utilized to deliver a great product to the consumer at a great value, without shifting U.S. jobs overseas. Okabashis are proudly made in the United States in Buford, GA and shipped worldwide from there.
In addition to being good for the U.S. economy, Okabashi strives to do its part for the environment. Each shoe is 100% recyclable and, in 2012, each shoe Okabashi produced was made of 15-25% recycled materials.
On top of that, the company is quick to point out that its product doesn’t travel nearly as far as imported shoes:
The average Okabashi shoe travels only 7% as far as the average imported shoe, which is a difference of almost 10,000 miles.
Last year, CNN did a story on the family run business. Natalie Snedden and Chris Hrubesh reported that Okabashi’s factory employs 200 workers and produces up to 20,000 shoes per day, with styles for both men and women. The CNN story also pointed out that 99% of the 2 billion pairs of shoes purchased in the United States every year come from overseas.
If you’re interested in seeing that 99% tick down, check out Okabashi’s flip flops and shoes.
Images from Okabashi's website.
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013