Indiana's manufacturing sector is helping to boost the state's economy
Writing for the Times of Northwest Indiana, Bowdeya Tweh and Keith Benman reported this past Sunday that manufacturing is playing a key role in the state's recovery after the recession.
In Indiana, manufacturing jobs have increased by 59,000 and employment in the sector is up by nearly 14 percent. Though Indiana is still far from pre-recession level employment, the outlook for the future is positive.
The article quoted Joel Chermak, general manager of Midwest Pipe Coating Inc., about is employees: “I can tell their outlook is much more positive than what it was a year and a half and two years ago."
Tweh and Benman also cited Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) data that suggests a brighter outlook for jobs in Indiana.
Earlier this month the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) attended a manufacturer showcase in Indiana where 32 companies demonstrated their products. The manufacturing expo highlighted the importance of local businesses doing their part in the manufacturing sector.
AAM has been calling for the implementation of a national manufacturing strategy to help revitalize U.S. industry. Such a plan could help to further rebuild manufacturing not just in Indiana, but in the nation as a whole.
This piece was written by AAM Intern Leigh Raup.
Related recent Blogs
- #ShopAmerica: Health and Beauty gift ideas • by LDonia • 12/11/2013
- Now there's an idea: Using trade policy as leverage with China • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- December 11, 2013: US Trade Rep has not discussed this "currency manipulation" everyone keeps talking about • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- December 9, 2013: China reports biggest trade surplus in five years • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013