Indiana's manufacturing sector is helping to boost the state's economy
Writing for the Times of Northwest Indiana, Bowdeya Tweh and Keith Benman reported this past Sunday that manufacturing is playing a key role in the state's recovery after the recession.
In Indiana, manufacturing jobs have increased by 59,000 and employment in the sector is up by nearly 14 percent. Though Indiana is still far from pre-recession level employment, the outlook for the future is positive.
The article quoted Joel Chermak, general manager of Midwest Pipe Coating Inc., about is employees: “I can tell their outlook is much more positive than what it was a year and a half and two years ago."
Tweh and Benman also cited Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) data that suggests a brighter outlook for jobs in Indiana.
Earlier this month the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) attended a manufacturer showcase in Indiana where 32 companies demonstrated their products. The manufacturing expo highlighted the importance of local businesses doing their part in the manufacturing sector.
AAM has been calling for the implementation of a national manufacturing strategy to help revitalize U.S. industry. Such a plan could help to further rebuild manufacturing not just in Indiana, but in the nation as a whole.
This piece was written by AAM Intern Leigh Raup.
Related recent Blogs
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013