Irony: House Republicans complaining about China currency but refusing to take action
House Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp (R-MI), along with the Republican members of the Ways and Means Committee, sent a letter to the Obama Administration today regarding the upcoming meeting of the U.S.-China Strategic & Economic Dialogue (S&ED).
Their letter highlights key concerns regarding both U.S. access to China's market and Beijing's "currency misalignment," which continues to be a "serious problem."
There's an irony to this letter: these House Republicans talk about currency misalignment, but House Speaker John Boehner has refused to allow H.R.639, "The Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act," to come to the floor for a vote.
Boehner's obstruction on the bill is unfortunate since H.R.639, which would address China's undervalued currency and has already garnered 64 House Republican co-sponsors.
One has to wonder, though, if Speaker Boehner and others in the GOP would support Governor Romney's campaign pledge to designate China as a currency manipulator on day one of his presidency?
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013