Oil exploration in Ohio boosts local steel mills
The United States sources much of its natural gas from domestic production. And this has never been more apparent than during the recent gas production boom in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.
As Keith Schneider reports in the New York Times, new oil and natural gas drilling is creating a large demand for steel pipe and tube infrastructure used to tap new wells. Last October, U.S. Steel opened a 325,000-square-foot mill at its Lorain, Ohio plant to manufacture steel pipe for the oil drilling industry. And in Canton, Ohio, the Timken Company is building a new operation to cast steel billets used for drilling platforms, heavy equipment, and other oil and gas industry tools.
The turnaround for Timken from a recent recession lull is especially pronounced. Schneider says that in May 2009, Timken's factory operated for only four days.
This gas boom could be welcome news for domestic steel makers, but only if drilling companies utilize American-made steel pipe.
As we reported yesterday, some Ohio legislators are hoping that the natural gas boom can also lead to a sustained Ohio steel boom. They have introduced new legislation, HB 559, that would require pipeline operators in Ohio to report the country of origin and manufacture of the steel products being used for natural gas development.
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) strongly supports such efforts and testified yesterday on Ohio to help promote such domestic sourcing.
Click here to read AAM's full testimony in support of HB 559.
Related recent Blogs
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013