President Obama to Tour Alcoa Factory in Iowa, Discusses Economic Importance of American Manufacturing
On the heels of his speech on advanced manufacturing last Friday at Carnegie Mellon University, President Obama will be touring the Alcoa aluminum factory in Battendorf, IA. From the White House press release:
On Tuesday, June 28th, President Obama will travel to Iowa and visit the Alcoa Davenport Works Factory in Bettendorf, where he will tour the facility and discuss the critical role that the manufacturing sector plays in the American economy. Manufacturing serves as the backbone of communities across the country and the continued revitalization of the manufacturing sector is critical to our nation’s success as we compete in a 21st century global economy.
We’re glad to see that the president is making an effort to highlight the importance of American manufacturing for our economy and to introduce programs to kick start a “manufacturing renaissances." But, as we said last Friday, we still have a long way to go.
America has been falling behind in manufacturing while the rest of the world aggressively supports its industry. We are playing catch-up following decades of neglect. Programs such as the Advanced Manufacturing Partnership Obama introduced last week show a lot of promise, but the efforts will be futile unless our manufacturers also have a solid foundation of support for challenges like unfair trade practices, currency manipulation, developing a skilled workforce, and a more efficient infrastructure.
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013