Senators and Members of Congress Seek Action on Dumped Solar Panels from China
A group of 59 Senators and Members of Congress are urging President Obama to investigate allegations that Chinese firms are dumping subsidized solar panels in the U.S. at below fair-market value.
The group, which includes Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Rep. Edward Markey (D-MA), has submitted a letter to President Obama stating that imports of Chinese solar products have “surged more than 350% from 2008 to 2010.” At the same time, the U.S. solar industry has ”lost thousands of jobs, and at least seven companies have been forced to close or downsize.”
Several U.S. manufacturers of solar panels recently filed dumping charges against Chinese firms to offset illegal subsidies by the Chinese government. The letter to President Obama states that these products are “unfairly traded,” and benefit from “government policies [that] clearly distort international trade.” These subsidies include: “massive loans at below-market interest rates”; “extensive tax breaks and other state assistance”; and, “a currency that is substantially undervalued (by itself giving Chinese manufacturers roughly a 28 percent price advantage over their U.S. competitors).”
Last year, the United Steelworkers (USW) filed a section 301 trade case against China alleging that dumping and subsidies in the clean energy sector were adversely affecting U.S. manufacturers of renewable energy technology and equipment.
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) commends these Senators and Members for standing up for U.S. manufacturers of solar panels.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- May 15, 2013 Headlines: U.S. manufacturing slows, while manufacturers discuss domestic production, and more... • by LDonia • 05/15/2013