Some interesting facts about the Statue of Liberty
EDITOR'S UPDATE: Since this post was originally published we've posted a month of manufacturing facts, just like these.
The famed Statue of Liberty, located in New York harbor was officially dedicated on October 28, 1886. The Statue has a 35-foot waistline and weighs 450,000 pounds.
-Total overall height from the base of the pedestal foundation to the tip of the torch is 305 feet, 6 inches.
-Height of the Statue from her heel to the top of her head is 111 feet, 6 inches.
-The face on the Statue of Liberty measures more than 8 feet tall.
-There are 154 steps from the pedestal to the head of the Statue of Liberty.
-A tablet held in her left hand measures 23' 7" tall and 13' 7" wide inscribed with the date JULY IV MDCCLXXVI (July 4, 1776)
-There are seven rays on her crown, one for each of the seven continents, each measuring up to 9 feet in length and weighing as much as 150 pounds.
-At the feet of the Statue lie broken shackles of oppression and tyranny.
-During the restoration completed in 1986, the new torch was carefully covered with thin sheets of 24k gold.
-The exterior copper covering of the Statue of Liberty is 3/32 of an inch thick (less than the thickness of two pennies) and the light green color (called a patina) is the result of natural weathering of the copper.
Related recent Blogs
- Clean energy manufacturing gets help from DOE • by TGarland • 12/12/2013
- John Porcari, DOT Buy America champion, is stepping down • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- December 12, 2013: Uh, an economic boom? • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- #ShopAmerica: Health and Beauty gift ideas • by LDonia • 12/11/2013
- Now there's an idea: Using trade policy as leverage with China • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- December 11, 2013: US Trade Rep has not discussed this "currency manipulation" everyone keeps talking about • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013