#SOSJobs: The Lorain rally wrap-up
Today, the Alliance for American Manufacturing joined citizens, workers, and state and federal legislators from Ohio to rally in support of steel jobs at the U.S. Steel’s Lorain Tubular Operations facility.
The products produced there – called oil country tubular goods (OCTG) – are used for energy exploration. OCTG provides the infrastructure for America’s boom in oil and natural gas production. You could even say it’s underpinning America’s shift to energy independence.
But America’s domestic producers of OCTG are in danger of being swamped by illegal competition. By dumping their OCTG products in the American market at prices far below fair value, companies based overseas are putting America’s jobs at risk.
Ohioans know how important these middle-class steelworker jobs are. They know these jobs are worth fighting for. That’s what brought U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown and U.S. Representative Marcy Kaptur to Lorain today. That’s why state-level legislators were in attendance, too. And that’s why a crowd of 300 workers and their neighbors turned out as well.
This is only the first in a series of rallies in defense of OCTG jobs. So click on the links above to learn more about what they had to say today. Learn more about the threat facing steelworkers in Ohio and across the country. Find an upcoming rally near you. And then take action to help.
We'll see you out there on the road soon, America!
Related recent Blogs
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- WTO Upholds Ruling Finding China Guilty in Rare Earths Export Restraints Case: Alliance for American Manufacturing statement. • by scapozzola • 08/07/2014
- No, Technology Isn’t an Automatic Job Killer • by elizabethbb • 08/07/2014