There's still manufacturing in...San Francisco?...
At ManufactureThis, we're fans of the iconic city of San Francisco. Night-time fog, Golden Gate Park, the famous Golden Gate Bridge, steep hills, Haight-Ashbury... This is western Americana-- a worthy tourist destination.
But did you know that San Francisco still has manufacturing?
Thanks to a timely email from Cynthia Cravens, we can tell you that the city on the bay still has some local manufacturers.
Just wanted to let you know what we're doing in San Francisco (now that we've recovered from the shock that our Bay Bridge was built with Chinese steel). We now have an initiative to promote light manufacturing in San Francisco, and it seems to be working. And, we're joining with other urban centers to promote manufacturing within American cities.
Local manufacturers represent some of the most diverse, innovative businesses in San Francisco. They design and manufacture products for consumers, specialty products for other industries, or are established contract manufacturers. The businesses span a wide range, from traditional manufacturers who have been in operation for more than 100 years to entrepreneurial start-up manufacturers who have chosen to establish themselves in San Francisco in just the past year. But most of all, these companies all share an increasingly uncommon trait – local manufacturing.
Read more about SF MADE.
(Photographs courtesy of Michael Capozzola)
Related recent Blogs
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- December 9, 2013: China reports biggest trade surplus in five years • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013