Tire Tariff Policy Encourages U.S. Manufacturing Jobs
AAM's Executive Director Scott Paul published the following letter to the editor in today's Wall Street Journal in response to a recent article:
Your Jan. 20 "The Business" column ("Get-Tough Policy on Chinese Imports Falters") ignores important gains in U.S. tire production since the implementation of tariffs on tires from China in 2009.
U.S. industry has added capacity for the past two years, and major investment is also expected this year in new and existing facilities. This investment could have occurred anywhere in the world, but thanks in part to the incentive for inward investment provided by the tariffs, tire-production jobs are being created in the U.S. Moreover, proponents of the tire tariffs never argued that there wouldn't be some increase in imports from other tire-producing nations.
The column acknowledges that skyrocketing input costs contributed to reduced margins for some tire dealers. Input costs weren't impacted in any way by the tariffs.
The tire case is one of dozens of active trade enforcement cases the U.S. has pending with China. If you are suggesting that we should turn the other cheek when China cheats, I respectfully disagree. The case provided the breathing room necessary for tire companies to invest in America after facing nearly a decade of impossibly priced imports from China that had eroded jobs and market share.
Alliance for American Manufacturing
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014