TODAY: Senate hearing on U.S. Defense Industrial Base
The Emerging Threats and Capabilities Subcommittee of the Senate Armed Services Committee is holding a hearing this afternoon on the health and status of the defense industrial base and its science and technology-related elements.
Panelists include: Honorable Frank Kendall, Principal Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics; Honorable Zachary J. Lemnios, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering; Brett B. Lambert,
Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense, Manufacturing and Industrial Base Policy; Norman R. Augustine, Retired Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Lockheed Martin Corporation; Dr. Jacques S. Gansler, Director, Center for Public Policy and Private Enterprise, University of Maryland School of Public Policy; and, Mr. Philip A. Odeen, Member, Defense Business Board
Task Group Chair, Assessing the Defense Industrial Base.
Live Updates from the hearing:
Sen. Robert Portman (R-OH): "Our industrial base hasn’t been immune to everything that is happening in the economy…the defense industrial base today is as fragile as it has ever been...We have challenges that we need to address, and I understand that some of these are going to take time to solve."
Norman Augustine, Retired CEO of Lockheed Martin: "You can’t win a war with a service economy"
Related recent Blogs
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013