Is U.S. manufacturing on the brink of a comeback?
U.S. manufacturing is currently facing its best chance for "staging a comeback." So says Braden Kelley in The Atlantic.
Kelley cited several reasons why U.S. manufacturing is becoming more competitive, including: a rise in overseas wages, higher transoceanic shipping costs, and an overall frustration with offshoring.
Kelley also rightly notes:
“US companies that commit to engaging American workers in their innovation efforts may also increase their ability to justify manufacturing their products at home…It is possible for companies to manufacture their products in the United States and make a profit. When you invest in your workers, engage their hearts and minds and involve them in the innovation process, you can not only optimize your manufacturing processes but also uncover new growth opportunities that no contract manufacturer will ever bring to you.”
This morning we wrote about a Pew Research poll that found 41 percent of respondents consider China the world’s leading economic power. Hopefully, though, that number may eventually shift back toward the U.S. if manufacturing makes a comeback.
Related recent Blogs
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013