WAIT-- How LITTLE DEBT does the U.S. government actually owe to China???
Ritholtz.com has posted a stunning pie chart by Political Calculations. Stunning because it reveals something that runs completely counter to conventional wisdom.
Their pie chart shows the differing percentages of U.S government debt (totaling more than $13.5 trillion) owed to various foreign countries, financial institutions, and business entities. The graph is pulled from U.S. Treasury Department data as of September 30, 2010.
What's the big surprise, you ask? U.S. debt to China accounts for a mere 9.5% of the total.
This very much debunks the myth that China has such tremendous leverage over the U.S. If anything, the American people do, judging by the 42.1% plurality stake owed to "U.S. Individuals and Institutions."
Related recent Blogs
- May 24, 2013 Headlines: U.S.-EU trade deal exemptions, investing in U.S. manufacturing, and more. • by LRaup • 05/24/2013
- Washington State Bridge Collapse Illustrates Perils of Failing Infrastructure. • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Michael Grimm (R-NY) form new Congressional Public Transportation Caucus. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- Homeland Security and Gov. Tom Ridge • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- CNBC: Is a Chinese construction firm benefiting from its Beijing connection? • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013