Why Can't Apple make your iPhone in America?
Monday night’s riot at the Foxconn plant in Chengdu, China should have iPhone and iPad users wondering-- isn’t there a better way?
Scott Paul, executive director of the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) will moderate a panel, Why Can't Apple make your iPhone in America, at the Netroots Nation Conference on Saturday morning aiming to answer this question.
As AAM has concluded, iPhones and iPads could indeed be manufactured in the United States, but they aren’t.
Joined by Congressman David Cicilline (D-RI), Campaign for America’s Future’s Dave Johnson, and Emptywheel’s Marcy Wheeler, Paul’s panel will explore the reasons why iPhones and iPads are being made overseas, discuss ways this could change, and contemplate whether progressives have an obligation to act toward reshoring U.S. jobs.
We hope you’ll attend the panel, Saturday, June 9th at 10:30am in room 551.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013