Worrying news: U.S. manufacturing contracts for the first time in three years
While there have been encouraging reports in recent months that firms might be reshoring manufacturing jobs from overseas, it appears that hope for a "manufacturing rebound" might be a bit premature.
Some troubling news...
- The Institute for Supply Management’s (ISM) index showed that U.S. manufacturing activity unexpectedly shrank in June for the first time in almost three years.
- The Philadelphia branch of the Federal Reserve reported last week that the northeast U.S. manufacturing sector actually contracted last month, indicating weaker business conditions for the second straight month. The report was far worse than analysts were expecting.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City also reported manufacturing activity slowed sharply last month.
To get manufacturing back on its feet, the U.S. urgently needs to implement a national manufacturing strategy to rebuild its industrial sector.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013