Krugman: 1.4 million U.S. jobs lost due to Chinese mercantilism.
Posted by scapozzola on 02/03/2010
New York Times columnist and Nobel-prize winning economist Paul Krugman was pondering U.S.-China trade recently and he came up with some interesting numbers. He was wondering about the toll that China's mercantilism is having on U.S. jobs:
we know that China is pursuing a mercantilist policy: keeping the renminbi weak through a combination of capital controls and intervention, leading to trade surpluses and capital exports in a country that might well be a natural capital importer. We also know, or should know, that this amounts to a beggar-thy-neighbor policy — or, more accurately, a beggar-everyone but yourself policy — when the world’s major economies are in a liquidity trap.Krugman says that China's current account surplus (almost 1% of world GDP) is now suppressing the rest of the world's exports--a roughly 1.5% "negative impact on gross world product." Extrapolating this to the U.S., he finds that by using a "rule of thumb that one point of GDP = 1 million jobs, we’re looking at 1.4 million U.S. jobs lost due to Chinese mercantilism." Read more.
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- February 28, 2014: We can create 5.8 million new jobs just like that! and more ... • by LDonia • 02/28/2014
- February 21, 2014: Make that Buy American commitment bigger! • by mmcmullan • 02/21/2014
- Tracking currency manipulation: Has your representative signed onto HR 1276? • by TGarland • 02/19/2014
- February 18, 2014: Regarding Presidents' Day • by mmcmullan • 02/18/2014
- Walmart's Buying American. So where's my Walmart smiley face? • by mmcmullan • 02/14/2014
- February 7, 2014: The #AAMeter moves, but not enough • by mmcmullan • 02/07/2014
- GRAPH OF THE DAY: Look at all of those trade deficit skyscrapers • by mmcmullan • 02/06/2014
- Oh boy, here come the 2013 trade numbers! • by mmcmullan • 02/04/2014
- AAM Media Coverage for #SOTU 2014 • by TGarland • 01/29/2014