Krugman: 1.4 million U.S. jobs lost due to Chinese mercantilism.
Posted by scapozzola on 02/03/2010
New York Times columnist and Nobel-prize winning economist Paul Krugman was pondering U.S.-China trade recently and he came up with some interesting numbers. He was wondering about the toll that China's mercantilism is having on U.S. jobs:
we know that China is pursuing a mercantilist policy: keeping the renminbi weak through a combination of capital controls and intervention, leading to trade surpluses and capital exports in a country that might well be a natural capital importer. We also know, or should know, that this amounts to a beggar-thy-neighbor policy — or, more accurately, a beggar-everyone but yourself policy — when the world’s major economies are in a liquidity trap.Krugman says that China's current account surplus (almost 1% of world GDP) is now suppressing the rest of the world's exports--a roughly 1.5% "negative impact on gross world product." Extrapolating this to the U.S., he finds that by using a "rule of thumb that one point of GDP = 1 million jobs, we’re looking at 1.4 million U.S. jobs lost due to Chinese mercantilism." Read more.
Related recent Blogs
- U.S. trade deficit rises in February: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement • by TGarland • 04/03/2014
- WTO sides with U.S. on China rare earth restraints: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement • by scapozzola • 03/26/2014
- A look at the State of Steel in America • by TGarland • 03/24/2014
- Could Hollywood actually teach Washington a thing or two? • by TGarland • 03/19/2014
- Postcard from Kansas: Trade reform a hot topic at the 2014 Washington Days • by LRaup • 03/15/2014
- China's currency manipulation continues to be a serious problem for the U.S. economy • by scapozzola • 03/14/2014
- Who is funding China's military rise? We are. • by mmcmullan • 03/13/2014
- Donald Trump addresses CPAC crowds on key AAM issues • by LRaup • 03/07/2014
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- February 28, 2014: We can create 5.8 million new jobs just like that! and more ... • by LDonia • 02/28/2014